25.2.12

Under The Lights

"Three minutes!" my director calls out. "Thank you, three minutes," we reply, following tradition. The show is about to start, and since it's my first actual show, I couldn't be more excited. I run to the mirror to make a final check  on my makeup and pull on my hat. After a final sip of water, we're ready to sneak up the stairs and funnel into the wings, where we will await the overture, followed by the opening number.

After our director makes announcements and welcomes everyone to Seussical Jr., the overture finally begins. Jojo sneaks onto the stage, followed by the Cat in the Hat, and eventually, we all creep in behind their backs. We dance energetically through the opening number and exit the stage, already excited for the next song.

We play number after number, between moments of waiting and frantic bolts to get to our places backstage. But all through the show, under the lights, costumes, and makeup, there's a little girl inside me who can't stop smiling-- inside or out. Up on that stage, I forget about the world, and being ordinary, and I even forget that most people don't see me dancing in the background. Up on that stage, I'm in one corner of my Ordinary Utopia. Up on that stage I get to feel extraordinary. I get to sing and dance and act and glorify the Lord, all up on that stage. 

But even when I'm not on the stage I'm still elated because it feels like home. My cast became like a family to me-- a big family. We work through the rough spots and help each other out. We have to work together if we want to succeed, so we do. And we have to work hard if we want to glorify the Lord, so we do.

Now of course, once I do this show six more times, it will be over and done. We won't have the same cast again, and it will be a sad goodbye. But it's bittersweet, because it's not goodbye forever. It's just 'goodbye until I see you in another show'. We all have memories from this show, so we'll bid each other goodbye until we can be together to make new ones. . . until we can be under the lights again. 

9 comments:

  1. beautifuly written =) it sounds like dancing really runs in your blood!

    xoxo,
    xoxo,
    Jessica @ Diary of a Beautiful Soul

    ReplyDelete
  2. i may or may not have pre-read this post, because what you write is just so beautiful and magical! love this. sometimes i wish i was able to be in productions or things like that. :)
    -jocee <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is exactly how I feel with every performance I have. it is so cool being able to bring another world to life on stage....
    and I may or may not have pre-read this post, too ;)
    xoxo,
    gravie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. beautiful.beautiful. loved this. Amazing, Lindsey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH. MAN!!! So great! This is how i feel! You just summed up my feeling! Right now im in "Once Upon a Mattress" Im sad it will be over in a week :( But so looking forward to next year! Hope your next shows go GREAT! Im sure they will!

    In Christ
    Hosanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes. Yes yes yes. <3 I'm in the show Beauty and the Beast this year. The show has one more month to go, but we're already so far. We sang that last song (Tale as old as time) last night and our director cried. She recorded it so we could listen, and I almost cried. We sounded so amazing. It's the best feeling in the world to be part of a drama family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so beautifully written!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh dear, this made me terribly lonesome for my cast. I was in a production of Emma last month--I was Emma, in fact. everything you said is so, so true--the feelings of anticipation, the amazing drama family, and then complete joy actually doing the show you've worked so hard on. I can't help but feel I was meant to be on stage. (: I so hope the rest of your shows go well, and this post was just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is lovely! i know that excitement so well and it's coming up for me soon, so yeah...this has reminded me : )
    thanks so much for sharing your experiences!
    ~Holly <3

    ReplyDelete